Sunday 27 October 2013

Canvas Inspiration from Design Team Member Riikka Kovasin!




Hi everyone!  How are you all getting along with our current mood board HERE?
Time is running out as our challenge closes midnight EST on the last day of the month!

Do you remember that you are allowed to submit CANVASES to our challenge?
 As long as they are a minimum of 8 x 8 inches??  Canvases are FUN TO MAKE - 
let's take a look at one recently created by RIIKKA KOVASIN - our Finnish Ambassador!!


Hello! Riikka here, haring a canvas I made for the Prima PPP challenge this month!
 A while back I got small light-bulbs from my work place & immediately saw their potential
as part of a canvas, together with some Prima blooms. The image I had in my mind 
was a towering cluster of flowers, bulbs & random pieces in the middle of a canvas. 
{inspired by the fabulous work of a favourite scrapbooker, Kasia Krzyminska}.


I began with the background, using patterned paper scraps that I adhered using gel medium.
 Next I started layering different pieces on top - the light-bulbs,die-cut flowers,
 puzzle pieces, Prima embellishments & lastly the flowers. 
Then I waited for the gel medium to dry.


Next I painted over everything with gesso {EXCEPT for the light-bulbs, 
as I wanted them to remain clear}.  I dried my canvas off using my 
heat gun then added a few epoxy stickers.


 Time to colour! I grabbed a few mists & sprayed the canvas with yellows & reds thus creating a yellow-orange 
colour scheme. As the gesso prevents the paints from soaking in the mists have to be layered. 
I sprayed three coats in total,wiping the light-bulbs & epoxy stickers reach time so they remained clear. 
Then I added touches of black & also flicked black, white and yellow paint across my canvas.


For the final touch I doodled some pencil lines around the design. 
This is something I almost can't live without - a little touch of pencil goes a long way!
  Then I added the alpha stickers, which I shaded using a chalk inker.


 I took my canvas back to my workplace to show my co-workers why I asked them to collect the burnt-out light-bulbs for me :)  They liked it so much they asked if they could keep it & of course I said YES!!   I was only happy to give it to them!  I hope I have inspired YOU to create your own canvas SOON!  Wishing you a lovely week full of light!!

THANK YOU RIIKKA!
Please leave some ♥ for Riikka if you enjoyed this tutorial.



15 comments:

Gayle Price said...

Gorgeous Riikka !! Fabulous details all perfectly put together and beautifully coloured. Love it !!

Kim Ewins said...

Stunning work.....so love this, the colours and all that glorious texture.

Di Garling said...

Oh WOW RIkka, this is absolutely GORGEOUS, so many great details. I love love love it. Thanks for the little tutorial on how you did it too. Cheers Di. Xo

Heather Jacob said...

a dazzling beauty .. love love love x

Helen Wallace said...

Another brilliant piece of art from you Riikka....I'm always inspired by your creations :)

frezja said...

woooow, this work is stunning!!!! :D

Riikka Kovasin said...

Thank you all <3

Wilma Voermans said...

I didn't know we can send in canvases aswell, good tip! This is a real stunner Riikka!!

Tusia Lech said...

Riikka! This is gorgeous!!!!

Sonja said...

Amazing, stunning, wonderful, LOVE it!!

Eila Sandberg said...

Goodness gracious Riikka! lightbulbs! this is a knock-out for sure, sublimely cool in every way!

Paper Attic said...

Love it! So beautifully creative, love the lightbulbs/light theme!

Elaine coustley said...

Your canvas is just stunning I love it . The thought of going wild with a canvas design is very appealing ,the Colours you have used are fantasic. x

zenevak said...

Stunning! Love your work Riikka!

Denise van Deventer said...

Absolutely stunning and fabulous! Beautiful, beautiful work!